Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Loving the Lord ... with all my heart

In Matthew 22 and Mark 12, we read about an expert of law asking Jesus what the greatest commandment is? Jesus answered, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37-40). The first and greatest commandment is to love the Lord my God with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind. In Mark, there is another phrase added as well: "with all your strength." (Mark 12:30). In Luke 10, the table was turned and Jesus asked an expert of law what is written in the Law about what he must do to inherit the eternal life. The expert answered similarly with the greatest commandments.

Previously in my posting of December 24, 2010, I considered what it may mean to love the Lord "with all my mind." Today I would like to meditate on what it may mean to love the Lord "with all my heart."

As I consider what is in my heart, I must agree with what Jesus said: "For out of the heart come evil thoughts — murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander." (Matthew 15:19). My heart is full of evil thoughts and I would not be able to love the Lord with such a heart. Even if I could, the love I have would not be acceptable to Him. He knows this fully and said "The LORD your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love Him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live." (Deuteronomy 30:6). My heart must be circumcised by Him, so that I may love Him with all my heart. All the evil thoughts, facades and pretenses must be cut off from my heart. A "pure heart", a "steadfast spirit" must be created within me (Psalm 51:10).

What would the pure heart be like? I think one expression of love is a desire to be like the person one loves. If, with a new pure heart, I loved the Lord with all my heart, then I would be yearning to have a heart like His. We are admonished to have His mindset, His attitude (Philippians 2:5). Jesus also told us to learn from Him, who is "gentle and humble in heart" (Matthew 11:29). My expression of love for Him with all my heart would be to yearn to be gentle and humble in heart like Him.

When Jesus spoke the words of Matthew 11:29, it was right after He declared that "all things have been committed to Me by My Father" (Matthew 11:27). He was speaking as One with authority and power over all creatures, as the "I AM", yet He said He is gentle and humble in heart. The Highest One lowered Himself to be the lowest (Philippians 2:6-8). In Jesus, God "made Himself nothing." The Master of the universe became a servant. "I AM" is linked in the same sentence with "gentle and humble in heart." No matter how much I should lower myself, I would never be able to lower myself as Jesus did in coming in flesh, since I am already in a base state. Yet Jesus's humility is what I yearn for and what I should like my heart to be like.

In being gentle, Jesus is able to accept and accommodate all who are labored and heavy-laden and give them rest (Matthew 11:28). All the sinners of the world can come to Him and find rest and restoration. His cross has paid the price of sin for all His people. He is so delicate and careful not to let even little ones stumble (Matthew 18:6). He is so gentle that He will not break a bruised reed or snuff out a smoldering wick (Isaiah 42:3). Even though He is just, He is also compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion, and sin (Exodus 34:6-7). He is so meek that even when He was oppressed, afflicted, and falsely accused for our sake, He did not open His mouth like a lamb led to the slaughter (Isaiah 53:7-8, Mark 15:1-5). Even on the cross, He prayed to forgive those who nailed Him and mocked Him (Luke 23:4). He is the ultimate Forgiver. He sheds tears even for those who are punished for their sin (Jeremiah 14:17).

To love the Lord with all my heart, my heart needs to be like Jesus's. Gentle and humble. I need to know my place as an unworthy servant, who is grateful to be given a task. In all that I do, I must need to be gentle, so that I do not let any little one stumble. I must be accommodating and able to hear and accept the heartaches and torments of my fellow men and women. Rather than being judgmental, I must be forgiving and understanding. My purpose in teaching is their repentance, not their condemnation (II Timothy 2:24-26, Galatians 6:1). I must be humble and gentle in heart, so that my love of the Lord is demonstrated through my love of my neighbors -- all those around me.

Lord, circumcise my heart and remove all my pride, arrogance, and roughness. Create in me a pure heart, a heart that is gentle and humble like Yours. Let me then love You with all my heart and extend that love to my neighbors. In Jesus's Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment