Search This Blog

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Psalm 18:43

"You have delivered me from the attacks of the people;
you have made me the head of nations;
people I did not know are subject to me." (Psalm 18:43)

In the book of Esther, there is a story that tells how the feasting of Purim came to be. During the reign of Xerxes who ruled over a vast territory from India to Cush, the enemy of Israel, named Haman, an Agagite, a descendant of the Amalekite royal house, plotted to destroy the entire remnant of Israel in Xerxes' kingdom. Through the efforts of Esther and Mordecai, however, Haman ended up hanging on a high post he had set up for Mordecai. Instead of the Jews getting murdered, their enemies were destroyed in Susa, the capital, as well as throughout the rest of the kingdom. Commemorating this occasion, the Jews vowed to observe it in perpetuity with the feast of Purim. Purim was a time when the Jews got relief from their enemies, their sorrow was turned into joy, and their mourning into celebration. Seeing this, "many people of other nationalities became Jews because fear of the Jews seized them" (Esther 8:17).

I think that is the type of situation that is described in Psalm 18:43. Psalm 18 was sung by David, when the Lord delivered him from his enemies and from Saul. With victory assured, people David did not even know were bowing down to him and made subject to him. It was not only deliverance that David received from the Lord, but a resounding victory.

I do believe that authority, dominion and glory -- all these things come from the Lord at a time of His choosing. It is not a time of my choosing or my determination. Rather what is required of me by the Lord is what was required of David and what was required of the Jews, Esther and Mordecai.

First, the Lord wants me to cry out to him for His deliverance. I myself am unable to defend myself from the enemies. I need the Lord, who is my Rock, my Shield, my Fortress, my Stronghold, my Deliverer, my Salvation. David cried out to the Lord. Esther and the Jews fasted with one heart and one purpose and cried out to the Lord. I must do the same.

Second, the Lord demands that I put my trust in Him. In crying out, David believed that the Lord will hear his voice and lend His ears to his cries. The Lord does not heed the cries of the wicked, but hears the prayers of the righteous. I trust that the Lord hears my prayers, because He has forgiven my sins and accredited righteousness to me.

Third, the Lord wants me to know that He will come in power and might that is absolute. Nothing is comparable to him. He has no peer. His incomparably great power works for us who believe (Ephesians 1:19). The psalmist's description of the shaking of the earth's foundation, the consuming fire, parting and darkening of the skies, rain storm and lightening is but a meagre attempt to convey the absoluteness of the Lord's might. That the mighty Lord of the hosts is on my side is what He wants me to know. How wonderful this is!

Yes, Lord, though I may have enemies, I know and trust that when I cry out to you, you will hear me. I trust that you will deliver me. Your incomparably great power will vanquish all enemies and bring victory. "People I did not know will be subject to me." Thank you, Lord. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment