Search This Blog

Friday, December 18, 2009

Psalm 17:1-5

Psalm 17 is the psalmist's plea, his cry, and his prayer, seeking the Lord's vindication. He is seeking the Lord's vindication that he is righteous and has no evil in him.

In seeking the Lord's vindication, the psalmist talks about three ways he may be tested. First, the psalmist says that the Lord "probe my heart and examine me at night." (Psalm 17:3) Unlike men who are deceived by outward appearances, the Lord searches and examines the hearts of men, because the heart is the source of all evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander (Matthew 15:19). Men sin within their hearts. I sin within my heart. I need the Lord's help to cleanse my heart and keep it from all manners of evil thoughts and deeds. All my heart, all my soul, all my spirit must be devoted to the Lord.

Second, to be vindicated by the Lord, my mouth and my lips must be kept in check. James says that if anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man (James 3:2). To keep the tongue in check is compared to putting bits in a horse's mouth, steering a ship with a rudder, and quenching a small spark of a fire that can consume a whole forest. Though all manners of animals and birds have been tamed, no one has been able to tame the tongue. How then can I tame my own tongue or keep my lips from sinning? As with my heart, I conclude that I cannot tame my tongue or lips on my own. I need the Lord's help.

Third, to be vindicated by the Lord, my feet and my steps have to be on the right path. The blessed man does not walk in the counsel of the wicked (Psalm 1:1). As a person seeking the Lord's vindication, I should not let my feet take me to a place of temptation, a place where I am more likely to falter, a gathering of mockery and debauchery. I should rather seek out a company of the righteous, the godly, and the God-fearing people. For this, I need the word of the Lord: "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (Psalm 119:105). I need to let the word of the Lord guide me.

Lord, as the psalmist sought, I want to be vindicated by you. Yet, I confess that I depend on you totally to cleanse my heart, to tame my tongue, and to provide light to my way and guide my feet to the path of the righteous. Lord, help me, for, when left alone, I am but a sinner. With your grace, however, I can be made righteous on account of Jesus Christ, who died for me on the cross. I praise your holy name and exalt you with gratitude. Thank you, Lord. I pray in the precious name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment