Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Psalm 3 & 4

Psalm 3 is David's song, when he was fleeing from his son Absalom. Absalom had risen in rebellion and treason against his own father and marched into Jerusalem, fully intending to capture and kill his own father and publicly humiliating his father's concubines. David barely escaped from Jerusalem and crossed the Jordan. He was deeply troubled and cried aloud to the Lord, who answered him. Even though men had abandoned David, the Lord was still with him. The proof of the Lord's answer was that David did "lie down and sleep; I wake again because the Lord sustains me." (Psalm 3:5).

Virtually everyone has had an occasion or occasions when he spent the night tossing on the bed, unable to fall asleep because something was troubling and anguishing him. Something at work, something in the family, something with friends, or even something that happened with strangers could bother and trouble us. Ideas race around in the head, seemingly with no hope of resolution.

What is the cure for the sleepless night? The cure is with the Lord. The Lord grants sleep to those he loves (Psalm 127:2). When I lie down, I will not be afraid; when I lie down, my sleep will be sweet (Proverbs 3:24).

Jesus tells us not to worry about what to eat, what to drink or what to wear. These are the things that the nonbelievers worry about. Believing and trusting in the Lord, the believers should not worry, but seek his kingdom and his righteousness (Matthew 6). He tells us not to be afraid, for he gives us peace, unlike any peace that the world can give (John 14). "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:6).

Let the light of your face shine on me, Lord. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment