Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Walking with God

Enoch was a 6th generation grandson from Adam (Genesis 5). When he became 65 years old, he begat Methuselah, known as the man who lived the longest and lived 969 years. After Enoch begat Methuselah, he "walked faithfully with God 300 years" (Genesis 5:22). Three hundred years is a long time and to be faithful for that long is exceptional. Enoch was commended as one who pleased God and was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death (Hebrews 11:5).

What does walking with God mean? For two to walk together, they need to be in agreement (Amos 3:3). For Enoch to walk with God, he had to know what God's will is and be in agreement with Him. Oftentimes in the past, I would pray (somewhat incorrectly) that God would walk with me, meaning that wherever I go, He would come along and protect me. As I think about how Enoch walked with God, I realize that it is I who should be walking in steps with the Lord, not God who should follow me around. He is the leader and I am the follower. I must discern His will and follow Him.

When the Israelites were journeying in the wilderness after coming out of Egypt, they were led by a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night (Exodus 13:21-22). If the pillar of cloud or fire moved, then the Israelites moved. If the pillar stayed in a place, then the Israelites stayed encamped there until the pillar began to move again. The Israelites were able to walk together with the Lord that way. It was not that the pillar followed the Israelites wherever they went.

Lord, I want to walk with You. Help me discern Your will and Your way and follow You, wherever You may go or stay. "Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven" (Matthew 6:10). Your will be done in my life, as I follow and obey You. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment