Search This Blog

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Going to the deep end

In Luke 5, there is a story of how Jesus called Peter to be a fisher of men. Peter had toiled all night long without catching any fish. As was customary, he had been working in the shallow waters, where there are schools of fish teeming. Then Jesus told him, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." This was something that did not make any sense to a long-time fisherman that Peter was. Yet, Peter said, "because you say so, I will let down the nets." When he did that, such a large number of fish was caught that the nets began to break. Partners in the other boat had to come over and help.

Jesus is calling to me to put out to the deep end as well. It is time for me to step out of the ankle-deep water (Ezekiel 47:3). I need to get into water that is knee-deep, up to the waist, and then deep enough to swim in. I need to be totally immersed in the grace of the Holy Spirit.

This will happen, when my response to Jesus' calling is "even though I tried everything and failed, because you say so, I will do whatever you tell me."

Lord, whatever you tell me to do, because you say so, I want to do it. Take me to the deep end and plunge me into the fullness of the Holy Spirit. Soak me in your grace. I am no longer afraid. I trust you will lead me to what is best. I seek the best gift, the Holy Spirit. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment