Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Taking up my cross

Crucifixion is one of the most painful and humiliating executions that man has devised in history. To be hung on a tree was evidence of God's curse (Deuteronomy 21:23). Yet, Jesus not only did not refuse it, but also took it upon Himself willingly and of His own accord (John 10:18) for the sake of His sheep, His people. Furthermore, He said to His disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24, Luke 9:23).

What does it mean to take up one's cross? Why does Jesus want us to take up our cross?

First, I think the cross means absolute obedience and humility, as shown by Jesus Himself. Being found in appearance as a man, Jesus humbled Himself and became obedient to death — even death on a cross! (Philippians 2:8) Just as Isaac did not resist Abraham's blade on Mount Moriah (Genesis 22:1-14), Jesus' prayer right to the end was that the Father's will be done (Matthew 26:39-43). In taking up my cross, I must be ready to obey the Lord even to the cross. And in obeying, I must do so with joy that I have been considered worthy of it (Acts 5:41).

Second, the cross signifies death of my sinful nature and the accompanying curse, because Jesus died on the cross, paying the price of my/our sin in full. "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." (Galatians 5:24). My old sinful self was crucified with Jesus, so that I am no longer a slave to sin (Romans 6:6). I must live my lfe, demonstrating my liberation from the powers of sin.

Third, the cross means that I have now been reconciled and made peace with God (Ephesians 2:14-16, Colossians 1:20, Romans 5:11). So, to us who are saved, the cross is the power of God (I Corinthians 1:18). Having been reconciled with God has two implications. First, we now have the ministry of reconciliation (II Corinthians 5:18-19). We have to carry the message of reconciliation to others who have not heard it. As children of God, we are now peacemakers (Matthew 5:9). Second, reconcilation with God means that we are now enemies of the world and Satan. Living in obedience to God, we should anticipate that we will be persecuted in this world (II Timothy 3:12). We may face persecution from the worldly authorities or possibly even from our own family members or relatives (Matthew 10:16-39). Yet, we should also know that being persecuted on account of Jesus is a blessing with reward in heaven (Matthew 5:10-12).

Indeed, the cross is a forerunner of the eternal joy and glory that will follow it. Jesus looked ahead to this joy and scorned the shame of the cross and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2). Likewise, when we partake in Christ's sufferings and cross, we should know that we will also share in His glory (Romans 8:17-18, I Peter 4:13, I Peter 5:1).

Jesus wanted us to take up our cross and follow Him, not because the cross meant a curse, but because in being obedient even to the cross and partaking in the sufferings and persecution of Jesus, we also get to share in His glory. In HIS Glory, no less than that! That is why Paul was able to confess that he considers all other things a "rubbish" (Philippians 3:8) and wants to boast in nothing but the cross of the Lord Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:14). May that be my confession and my prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment